Tips: To Know Before You Go to Chatuchak Weekend Market
• Stay Hydrated. Bangkok is one of the hottest cities in the world and it’s important to stay hydrated while exploring the over 15,000 booths at the market. The best time to visit Chatuchak is around 10am when most of the shops open. It will also be a little cooler and less crowded. Water is inexpensive and costs about 10 baht (approx $0.30 USD) for small bottles or 20 baht (approx $0.60 USD) for large 1.5 liter bottles.
• Bargain for the Best Prices. Unless it is clearly stated, don’t be afraid to haggle for the best prices. Smile and start by asking for 40% – 50% off the marked price and negotiate from there. If you are not happy with the price you are getting, walk away. More than likely you will find another stall close by offering the same item. Before you walk away, be sure to note the stall number in case you need to come back.
• Beware of Pickpockets: As in any place where there are large crowds, you want to be careful with your personal belongings. At the peak hours where the crowd is neck to neck, pay particular attention to your belongings, money and electronics.
• Take Advantage of the Worldwide Shipping Services. If you find yourself shopping for more than you expected, DHL or TNT shipping companies will get your packages home for you. Shipping prices vary depending on size, weight and location. Both DHL and TNT will take care of the customs clearance for you and will give you a 10 digit tracking number so you can follow your package home.
• Friday is a little known option. If you don’t like crowds or can’t make it on a Saturday or Sunday, Friday evening is a little known option. The published hours of the market are 9.00 am to 6.00 pm on Saturday and Sunday. However, the market is also open on Friday’s for wholesalers from 6:00pm to midnight. You will be able to do your normal shopping here avoiding the weekend crowds and daytime heat.
Directions and Hours
Take the BTS SkyTrain to Mo Chit Station or MRT Subway to Chatuchak Park Station or Kamphaeng Phet station.
Hours: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm Saturday and Sunday